Thursday, June 2, 2011

missing my sibs

I am currently sitting in a small hotel room in Ft Myers FL. By myself.

How often do you feel lonely? Are you missing anyone?

Let me make something clear early on. I am not lonely.

God has blessed me with the love of my life Adrian, and two wonderful boys, Owen, & Logan.
On top of that, I have incredible family both Adrian's side and my own! Wow I am rich!!!

That said, I do find myself missing people.
I miss Adrian, Owen & Logan of course. But lately (meaning not just this trip) I find my self missing other people.

When I was little I had two sisters, one older super cool.  Her name is Nicole.  We hung out a lot together, doing normal brother and sister things. Playing with barbies. 
We were such play mates as kids, and then she went away to college in GA. where is that?  luckily she got home sick and came back after one year, then she went to Dordt. I was happier with her closer.

For a semester; I went to Dordt as well. However; I had never really figured out how to learn and my grandpa was diagnosed with cancer, and past away.  Basically all my first semester.  I had had enough.

My parents moved to DSM, so I followed.

I also had a younger sister. She was perfect, in all that she did. (not a bad thing, although that is how I saw it when I was younger)  Granted she tried immensely hard, and deserved everything she got.  But being "perfect" she wasn't as cool as Nicole or I, so I didn't spend many of my school years as her "friend".   She was constantly singing, playing piano, and I was sure; doing everything she possibly could to annoy me. Grrr.

So when Libby entered High School I told her that we could now be friends. She was thrilled. I think.
Libby had it rough that first year. I always knew she was picked on by certain people but never knew the extent of it.  As an older brother I did what I could to stand up for her. Even got into a couple fights for her, not that I told her about them.  After all she is my family.

So after Libbys first year; the year my family moved to DSM she went to Johnston HS. Which ticked me off bad.  I had gone to private school in Orange City; small Christian community, and wasn't allowed to go to the public school.  But now, in the big city my little sister was going to this huge public school. Grrr.

But she excelled there. Which was expected. And she made some good friends.

The one thing that was missing was my brother.

Oddly I got my brother when I was 23. Even more strange, he was 15.  I found it hard to connect with Jesse.  He came from such a different place than I had come from.  So I failed in that relationship in the early years.

Jesse graduated from Johnston HS, smart athletic with great ambition.  Went on to Faith Baptist Bible College; and I found another opportunity to build our relationship.  I failed again.

Then about Christmas time I started to make a concentrated effort of building a friendship with him.  I began calling from time to time, and talking more deeply than silly superficial conversations. 

However; a few weeks ago Jesse enrolled himself in Teen Challenge. Seeking heeling. Now he is gone for 1 year. And I find myself deeply missing him.  Jesse; I love you. I pray for you often, and I look forward to becoming great friends with the man you will be when you emerge from this trial.


Nicole; has never been real far away. always willing to talk and be an ear for my words.  But now I feel that living only an hour apart our relationship is widening.  We seem to be drifting apart.  We are each building lives and setting new foundations in our communities.  And as great as that is, it burdens our relationship.  Nicole;  I love you.  I am ok with being short distance friends.  Enjoy life in Marshaltown, grow your friendships, and grow in your relationship with Jesus Christ.  I, your little brother will always be available.


Then there is Libby.  My little sister.  My friend.  I love you.  I appreciate you more than I can express.  I now find myself missing your music which I despised so much growing up.  I miss you singing in Church. I miss you playing piano.  You married a great Italian man name Michael. who took you away to MASS. (not complaining).  You have been gone for not even a year, and I miss you.  Your friendly face that always has something encouraging to say.  I know you will do well in the NE.  your ministry will shine BRIGHT along with Mike's.  God bless you!!



I apologize now for rambling. No I don't. you could have stopped after the first paragraph. but you were hooked. HA!


cboom

No comments:

Post a Comment